Home » Procedures » The Obalon Balloon System
The Obalon Balloon System is an effective weight loss alternative for people who either don’t want or don’t qualify for weight loss surgery. Please note that the Obalon Balloon System is only offered in some of our Houston-area locations.
WHAT IS THE OBALON BALLOON SYSTEM?
The Obalon Balloon System is the first and only swallowable, FDA-approved balloon system for weight loss. Three balloons are placed gradually over 3 months to maximize patient tolerability and facilitate progressive weight loss. The non-surgical treatment lasts 6-months and is coupled with a professionally supervised nutrition and exercise program.
The Obalon Balloon System is a safe and effective non-surgical device for weight loss that:
- Is designed for convenient placement, without the need for sedation.
- Achieves weight loss without serious side effects. The majority of adverse events, in the clinical trial, were reported and consisted of abdominal pain and nausea (serious side effects were less than .3%).
- Helps with progressive weight loss over the entire treatment period, combined with a moderate intensity weight loss and lifestyle modification program.
WHO CAN GET THE OBALON BALLOON SYSTEM?
You may be a candidate for the Obalon Balloon System if you:
- Have a body mass index (BMI) from 30 to 40 kg/m2
- Are 22 years or older
- Are willing to follow a 12-month program. The program begins with the placement of the Obalon Balloons in your stomach for up to six months. The program includes a healthy diet and exercise program during the time you have the balloons and for six months after the balloons are removed.
WHAT WEIGHT LOSS RESULTS CAN BE EXPECTED?
In a large clinical study, the Obalon Balloon System was shown to help adults achieve clinically meaningful weight loss.
When used with a diet and exercise program, people lost on average 15 pounds and up to 50 pounds. An average of 89.5% of the total weight loss was maintained at 1 year.
HOW MANY BALLOONS ARE USED DURING THE TREATMENT PERIOD?
Typically, three lightweight, buoyant balloons are placed gradually over three months to maximize tolerability and help with progressive weight loss throughout the 6-month treatment period. Optimal weight loss is achieved with three balloons. Those treated with three balloons lost more than 4x as much weight as those treated with 2 balloons. All balloons must be removed six months after the first balloon is placed.
WHAT IS THE RECOMMENDED FOLLOW-UP?
Patients should be seen 1-2 times per month for support and supervised coaching. During these visits, a registered dietician should perform weight measurements, review the person’s food intake and exercise activity and make adjustments as needed to support their weight loss.
HOW ARE THE BALLOONS REMOVED?
At the end of the 6-month treatment period, all three balloons are removed by a brief, approximately 15 minute, outpatient endoscopic procedure which is performed under light, conscious sedation.You can find a list of contraindications and other important safety information below. Full Instructions for Use and safety information available at www.obalon.com/safety-information.